Complaints about a health and disability service

If you’re not happy about a health and disability service, you can make a complaint.

All health and disability services have processes for dealing with complaints.

Making a complaint

First, talk to the person you received the service from (or the person in charge). They may be able to sort out the problem for you. You can make a complaint in person, by telephone or in writing. It’s up to you.

If you’re still not happy afterwards, you can make a complaint to the Office of the Health and Disability Commissioner. They can investigate. Call them free on 0800 11 22 33.

Disability services

If you have a problem with a disability support service funded by the Ministry, you can complain to us. Visit Contact Disability Support Services to find out who to talk to.

Complaints about costs

If you have a complaint about costs (like if you’ve been charged for a service you didn’t agree to), you can seek legal advice or go to the Disputes Tribunal.

The Consumer Affairs website tells you more about how the Disputes Tribunal works.

Help making a complaint

It’s OK to have a family member or friend help you make a complaint.

You can also get help from a free health and disability advocate. Visit the Health and Disability Advocacy website to find out more.

Report fraud or dishonesty

If you suspect fraud or dishonesty – or are just concerned something doesn’t seem right – you can report it to the Health Integrity Line, any time, on 0800 424 888. It’s anonymous and free.