THE ARRIVAL PROCESS
On arrival you will be seen by the receptionist who will gather information that is required at WAM.
Please inform the receptionist immediately if you have any of the following symptoms:
• Chest Pain
• Breathing Difficulties
• Allergic Reactions
A triage nurse will assess you within a few minutes of your arrival to determine your medical priority. Depending on the severity of your symptoms you will be referred to one of the following services:
1. You will receive a service at WAM (a fee will apply and this fee will be applicable even if your condition changes and you are subsequently transferred to the emergency department).
2. You will be immediately transferred to the Emergency Department (no fee will apply).
3. You will be referred back to your general practice for treatment (no fee will apply, however, you may incur a fee at your general practice).
OPENING HOURS AND SERVICES
WAM is open from 8.00am to 9.00pm, every day of the year and provides the following services:
• WAM is the ACC preferred provider for injuries that occur, such as lacerations, fractures, sprains, eye injuries, etc.
• WAM runs a fracture clinic for management of fractures that do not need hospital referral.
• WAM provides services to patients who require urgent medical care, but cannot get into their general practice or to those who don’t have one locally.
As an urgent care clinic WAM differs from a general practice, in that it does not enroll patients or receive funding to provide the same range of services that patients receive at their general practice. If you are enrolled with a General Practitioner, you should seek non-urgent medical attention with that service.
As an urgent care clinic, WAM does not operate an appointment service. However, if follow-up appointments are necessary an appointment time may be issued. Patients that present at WAM are not seen in the order that they arrive. For safety reasons priority is given to patients that present with the highest medical risk and/or distress. This means that the less urgent your presentation is, the longer you may wait.