The Ministry of Health has published its Demographic Report on Clients Allocated the Ministry of Health’s Disability Support Services as at September 2016.
In September 2016 there were 33,804 disabled people allocated one or more Ministry-funded disability support services.
In addition there were 63,856 disabled people allocated equipment and modification services.
The report shows demographic information about the disabled people allocated the majority of disability support services funded by the Ministry of Health’s Disability Support Services, such as:
- More males (58%) than females (42%) are allocated disability support services. Males dominate the age groups from 5 to 29 years.
- The median age of DSS Clients is 28 years.
- The ethnicity of clients allocated disability support services is: 67% European/Other, 17.5% Māori, 6% Pacific and 6% Asian, with 4% of unknown ethnicity. European/Other and Pacific people are slightly under-represented when compared with the total New Zealand population; Māori are slightly over-represented, while Asian people are significantly under-represented.
- Among Asian Clients, 65% are male.
- Males make up 57% of Clients with intellectual disabilities, while females make up 58% of Clients with physical disabilities. Males (81%) dominate the Clients with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
- Almost half (48%) of DSS Clients live in their own home or their family home.
- Over half (53%) of DSS Clients reside in the three most populated regions, which include the major cities of Auckland, Christchurch and Hamilton.
- Half of all DSS Clients have an intellectual disability as their principal disability. Many of these Clients may also have a physical disability.
- One-quarter of DSS Clients have a physical disability as their principal disability.
- One-fifth of DSS Clients have Autism Spectrum Disorder as their principal disability.
The report is based on information about services allocated to people by the needs assessment and service coordination organisations. It does not report on the services used.
You can download a Word or PDF version of the report in our Publications section: Demographic Report on Clients Allocated the Ministry of Health’s Disability Support Services as at September 2016